Images of Rudgwick People
We are collecting a growing number of images, both of individuals and groups. There must be many more, if only we could locate them! Many who contributed greatly to the village have no memorial image. Can you help?
Rudgwick Women’s Institute outside the Jubilee Hall, 1949. Many but not all names have been put to these faces
An old folk’s tea party at Windacres, 1951. A number of these people have been identified
1952, another old folks tea party at Windacres
Col Frederick Gough MP for Horsham addresses Rudgwick Conservatives at Windacres, 1952. Windacres was then owned by NF Gossage Esq
Rudgwick Silver Band first played in 1861, set up by Rev Thurlow of Baynards. Most of the band enlisted in the Great War. Re-established by G C Barker of Gaskyns. Met in a band room behind Willow Cottage, Church St. John, William, Harold, & Charlie Tate were successive bandmasters. The end came in the late 1940s
Cricket has been played in Rudgwick since at least 1775, but the earliest photo of players is from this newspaper cutting dated 24 Sep 1933, when the match arranged with PGH Fender’s XI was washed out, and the players retreated to the Queen’s Head for a sing-song
The earliest team photo of Rudgwick CC is the 1951 team
On 23 May 1959, Rudgwick under GW Humphrey played Rev David Sheppard’s XI but lost the match despite good bowling by NC Naumann. Sheppard scored 77
1965, Rudgwick v The President’s XI
Rudgwick FC, the 1920 XI, for which we have all names, including Anson Crouch, captain, front centre, and numerous non-players. Seated, third from right Albert King, club sec, re-started football after the war. left Rudgwick the next year. Photo possibly in his honour. Possible start date for the club: before 1908. Photo by Rudgwick-born FJ Waller of Horsham
The 1933-4 football team was a winning team! All names known; captain T Hurst. Rudgwick wore red/black stripes
By the 1950s, both football and cricket had use of the new King George’s Field, Bucks Green, identifiable by the houses behind. Can you name any players?
1981 Cranleigh Hospital Cup team, first colour photo. Post-war strip no longer striped. Village Hall in background
Rudgwick Girl Guides off to camp at Rudgwick Station, 1927
Rudgwick Scouts at Clymping beach in 1946. Wartime tank traps proved irresistable!
A larger group, same year, same place. Can you name anyone?
1955, Rudgwick Scouts reach semi-finals of the soapbox derby in Morecambe, driver of ‘The Gnat’ Ean Clarke. Others were Ken Richards and Mel Reynolds (scoutmasters Messrs Matthews and Durrant)
A Wanford (Bucks Green) group celebrate VE Day, 1945
Pennthorpe School 1956, under 60 pupils, all boys, most boarders; Joint Principals Herbert & Sidney Braby founded the school in Chislehurst, and evacuated to Rudgwick. also pictured is ‘Chalky White, soon to be Headmaster (see comments below)
Rudgwick School, pre-1900, headmaster Charles Woods (1877-1912), right
Rudgwick School 1934, headmaster Alfred Bacon (1917-1948), left
Rudgwick School, senior girls, 1946. Children spent their whole school life in the village school in Bucks Green
Rudgwick School football team, 1948-9
Rudgwick School fieldwork, possibly Lynwick, 1940s
Rudgwick School, serving up wartime dinner
Miss Tuff’s infants met at the Social Club, Loxwood Rd, as school numbers increased, c1949
Rudgwick school staff, 1952, headmaster Mr Denton centre (1948-54), Miss Tuff 2nd right
1964/5, at the very end of the old school’s history, headmaster Mr Guest (1954-1970s), Bob Burse 2nd right bottom row.
Rudgwick School centenary photo, at the new school in Tates Way, 1980. The new school opened on 5 June 1972.
The past, present and future of Rudgwick