Rudgwick Today

Rudgwick Houses Today

By and large, Rudgwick has maintained an attractive built environment , of which we are very proud. It is the Preservation Society’s intention to do all it can to keep it that way! The gallery begins with a few of Rudgwick’s oldest houses (four dated by dendrochronology) and a selection of attractive houses, and includes all four pubs.

Warhams, our oldest house, early C13th The oldest part is central, under vthe dormer
Warhams, our oldest house.  The oldest part is under the dormer, and dates from between 1213 and 1249
Snoxall, Bucks Green, 1337/8
Snoxall, Bucks Green, 1337/8 (see Gallery: Bucks Green)
Hoglands, The Haven, is in the far south of the parish. two cottages at one time, the building is from 1369/70
Hoglands, The Haven, is in the far south of the parish. two cottages at one time, the building is from 1369/70
Swains Cottage in Tismans Common dates from 1378, but some of its timbers are a little older, and the property was owned by Richard Sweyn in 1353
Swains Cottage in Tismans Common dates from 1378, but some of its timbers are a little older, and the property was owned by Richard Sweyn in 1353
Woes, opposite the King's Head in Rudgwick's Conservation Area, is the oldest house in the village itself. Of similar age to Swains Cottage, above, it hides its timbers behind more recent tile hanging.
Woes, opposite the King’s Head in Rudgwick’s Conservation Area, is the oldest house in the village itself. Of similar age to Swains Cottage, above, it hides its timbers behind more recent tile hanging
The King's Head is situated in front of the churchyard, and opposite Woes. built in 1730s it may not have become a pub before the 1790s
The King’s Head is situated in front of the churchyard, and opposite Woes. built in 1730s it may not have become a pub before the 1790s
Part of Rudgwick's Conservation Area, Little Ames and Hencocks
Part of Rudgwick’s Conservation Area, Little Ames and Hencocks
Garlands in The Haven is Rudgwick's only grade 2* Listed house. it has a superb setting with barn conversions, orchard and brick walling. the house and the left crosswing are dated 1550, a smoke bay house. it was the centre of a big estate owned by the C19th Simmonds family
Garlands in The Haven is Rudgwick’s only grade 2* Listed house. it has a superb setting with barn conversions, orchard and brick walling. The house and the left crosswing are dated 1550, a smoke bay house. it was the centre of a big estate owned by the C19th Simmonds family
Gibbons Mill in The Haven was last used in early C20th for hep, but has a history back to the medieval period. Now a private house, the miller's house chimney can also be seen
Gibbons Mill in The Haven was last used in early C20th for h.e.p., but has a history back to the medieval period. Now a private house, the miller’s house chimney can also be seen
Cousins Farm in The Haven , relatively unspoilt group of old buildings, including barns and converted granary, is a late 2-bay hall house 1500, with chimney 1650 and wing on right C18th. Long association with Ireland family
Cousins Farm in The Haven , relatively unspoilt group of old buildings, including barns and converted granary, is a late 2-bay hall house 1500, with chimney 1650 and wing on right C18th. Long association with Ireland family
an early C16th smoke bay cottage at Morgans Green (Haven)
an early C16th smoke bay cottage at Morgans Green (Haven)
Bignor Farm, The Haven, illustrates the very early connections between S Downs parishes up the Arun valley to summer pasture and pannage. the house may have been a weaver's house with its many windoows, and is frm many periods, the oldest c1500
Bignor Farm, The Haven, illustrates very early connections between S Downs parishes up the Arun valley to summer pasture and pannage. May have been a weaver’s house with its many windows, and is from many periods, the oldest c1500
The Blue Ship is country pub in The Haven. A former smallholding called Bakers Shaw became an ale house in mid-C19th, when new wing added to c1600 dwelling
The Blue Ship is a country pub in The Haven. A former smallholding called Bakers Shaw became an ale house in mid-C19th, when new wing added to c1600 dwelling
The Redhouse, Loxwood Road, c1630, is an attractive chimney house (i.e., built with chimney) with Georgian facade. The Butcher family is associated with this house
The Redhouse, Loxwood Road, c1630, is an attractive chimney house (i.e., built with chimney) with Georgian facade. The Butcher family is associated with this house
The Fox Inn at Bucks Green was formerly a late C17th cottage (catslide roof) called Franktonhook, and a late C18th attached house, which was the parish Poor House before becoming an ale house. Only later was the cottage included in the pub
The Fox Inn at Bucks Green was formerly a late C17th cottage (catslide roof) called Franktonhook, and a late C18th attached house, which was the parish Poor House before becoming an ale house. Only later was the cottage included in the pub
Historic Wanford Mill is now a private house
Historic Wanford Mill is now a private house
Attractive Victorian houses in the parish include Oakdene, Guildford Rd, built for the Walder family in their retirement from Mill Hill Farm, later a doctor's house
Attractive Victorian houses in the parish include Oakdene, Guildford Rd, built for the Walder family in their retirement from Mill Hill Farm, later a doctor’s house
Lynwick House, sheltered under the wooded ridge, was for centuries the home of the Butcher family, then gentrified in Victorian times, lived in by John Aungier who built up the Lynwick estate
Lynwick House, sheltered under the wooded ridge, was for centuries the home of the Butcher family, then gentrified in Victorian times, lived in by John Aungier who built up the Lynwick estate
Woodsomes Farm is sheltered under the ridge off Lynwick Street. It has a 'model farm' created for John Aungier's Sussex herd, now one of the several dairy farms in the Harrison partnership. The house was originally a 3-bay chimney house c1550
Woodsomes Farm is alsosheltered under the ridge off Lynwick Street. It has a ‘model farm’ created for John Aungier’s Sussex herd, now one of several dairy farms inthe Harrison partnership. The house was originally a 3-bay chimney house c1650
Pallinghurst House (now Rikkyo School) was a grander Victorian mansion for Erwin Schumacher by J Parnell & Sons, Rugby, 1898-1902. Schumacher headed the London offices of Wogau & Co, trading with Russia until the Revolution
Pallinghurst House (now Rikkyo School) was a grander Victorian mansion for Erwin Schumacher by J Parnell & Sons, Rugby, 1898-1902. Schumacher headed the London offices of Wogau & Co, trading with Russia until the Revolution
Georgian Tisman's House was part of Pallinghurst Estate for many years
Georgian Tisman’s House was part of Pallinghurst Estate for many years
Barnsfold, c1690,  once two cottages, and earlier a farm in its own right, had been part of Tismans Farm before it was joined with Pallinghurst
Barnsfold, c1690, once two cottages, and earlier a farm in its own right, had been part of Tismans Farm before it was joined with Pallinghurst
For most of its history The Mucky Duck Inn was The Cricketers, built on its newly enclosed common allotment in 1855 to replace the Pig Inn next door, in the hands of the Songhurst family for most of the rest of the century
For most of its history, The Mucky Duck Inn was The Cricketers, built on its newly enclosed common allotment in 1855 to replace the Pig Inn (Old House) next door; in the hands of the Songhurst family for most of the rest of the century
Lower Barnsfold is'the last house in Rudgwick' on the pre-turnpike track to Alfold via Hook Street
Lower Barnsfold is’the last house in Rudgwick’ on the pre-turnpike track to Alfold via Hook Street
Exfold Farm has Listed barns as well as the house. it overlooks the Arun on a prominent bluff. originally c1420, rebuilt c1680. '-fold' indicates early settlement site
Exfold Farm has Listed barns as well as the house. it overlooks the Arun on a prominent bluff. Originally c1420, rebuilt c1680. ‘-fold’ indicates early settlement site
close to Exfold is the tiny St John's church, a mission room opened in 1913, now celebrating it's centenery as a Tisman Common mission room, and still open for worship
Close to Exfold is the tiny St John’s church,  opened in 1913, now celebrating it’s centenery as a Tisman Common mission room, and still open for worship
Rowhook Farm (once Blakes), on the far east side of Rudgwick is a property on the parish boundary, also the line of Roman Stane Street. Not many householders can boast that! possibly 1650, but re-modelled in 1930s as attractive house. barn also C17th
Rowhook Farm (once Blakes), on the far east side of Rudgwick is on the parish boundary, also the line of Roman Stane Street. Not many householders can boast that! Possibly 1650, but re-modelled in 1930s as attractive house. Barn also C17th
Opposite is Chequered Oak House (Stringersland), also C17th with crosswing c1900
Opposite is Chequered Oak House (Stringersland), also C17th with crosswing c1900
The Chequers Inn is a former early C17th cottage which became a pub in1798. the extension in corrugated iron is an eccentric addition
The Chequers Inn is a former early C17th cottage which became a pub in1798. The extension in corrugated iron is an eccentric addition
North of Rowhook is Honey Lane Farmhouse, the only C16th jettied crosswing to hall house in Rudgwick, dating from c1475
North of Rowhook is Honey Lane Farmhouse, the only C16th jettied crosswing to hall house in Rudgwick, dating from c1475, located at the end of the old route to Dorking, Honey Lane
Monks, c1670, is in the NE 'panhandle' of the parish, almost in Surrey, and on old Stane Street
Monks, c1670, is in the NE ‘panhandle’ of the parish, almost in Surrey, and on old Stane Street

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

The past, present and future of Rudgwick

%d bloggers like this: