Everybody who drives from Horsham to Guildford knows Bucks Green, a hamlet on the A281. Although somewhat busy with through traffic, this area has a long history, close to the River Arun at Wanford. The latter area was once Wanford Green, near the ancient mill on the road to The Haven. Around the Fox Inn was Franktonhook, at the junction (hook) of the road to Loxwood and Drungewick. The A281 was a turnpike (toll) road from an Act of Parliament in 1809. Prior to that there was no road directly to Alfold Crossways or Horsham. No one has ever satisfactorily explained a green at Bucks Green! The community used to have numerous commercial activities, as indeed it does today.
The junction of Haven Rd and the A281, Guildford Rd, looking north to the Queen’s Head. Right: a tall building on the site of the former tollhouse, where gates stood across both the turnpike itself and the turning to The Haven. The prominent oak is long gone. King & Chasemore advertised property here
The Queen’s Head is Rudgwick’s oldest inn (1750s), sadly now closed and a private house. A noted landlord between the wars was Francis Crouch
The Lower Smithy used to be next to the tollhouse. The business continued until after the war
The Post Office and general stores was located nearer Watts Corner (the junction with Church St). It was for many years the telegraph office. Names associated included the Wellens and the Streets
Snoxalls, or The Old House, is at the centre of Bucks Green, and is one of the oldest houses in Rudgwick, 1337/8. for much of the C20th this pair of cottages became a restaurant.
Green Lanes (once called Mill Hill Cottage) is further east, but it too was once tea rooms on the main road; now much altered
These Edwardian cottages dominate the south side of the road, and have little altered frontages today.
Watts Corner, looking south, at the junction of Church Street and Guildford Rd. The three cottages are now one.
at Franktonhook there is traffic island, on which several businesses have thrived, including a garage, and this little shoemaker’s hut, long gone.
Rudgwick School (1905) opened in 1880. A new school in the village opened in 1972, with infants at the old school for a few more years. The building is now a private museum
Wanford Mill on the River Arun has existed since the medieval period. It was for a long time in the hands of John Botting before it closed; now a private house
From the Gaskyns sale catalogue, 1930, the Mill House at Wanford clearly shows its older Georgian frontage and Victorian wing behind, little altered today
Near the river, and off Naldretts Lane, is Warhams, the oldest building in the parish, and for miles around. Warhams has at its extended core a fine example of early C13th timber work. it was an aisled hall house, possibly a hunting lodge for the manor of Pulborough, as such one of the oldest continuously inhabited timber-framed houses in SE England